Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pieces of a Puzzle

I have been trying all week to make myself sit down and write about all the things that have happened to me over the past month. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I have some wonderful memories and a few painful ones. I have made friends and enemies alike. But it is not something that I would give up for the world. I have never felt so loved and yet so alone in such a short amount of time. And while on Twitter just a few minutes ago, I came across this, which sums it up perfectly:

The Opposite of Loneliness

We don’t have a word for the opposite of loneliness, but if we did, I could say that’s what I want in life. What I’m grateful and thankful to have found at Yale, and what I’m scared of losing when we wake up tomorrow and leave this place. 
It’s not quite love and it’s not quite community; it’s just this feeling that there are people, an abundance of people, who are in this together. Who are on your team. When the check is paid and you stay at the table. When it’s four a.m. and no one goes to bed. That night with the guitar. That night we can’t remember. That time we did, we went, we saw, we laughed, we felt. The hats.

Written by Marina Keegan, for the Yale Daily News. She wrote it for a special edition of the paper that was given out at their commencement exercises last week. Then she died on Saturday in a car accident. She was only 22.

The life we have is not a long one, but I am so happy to have been able to share what I have with all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment